
A former Royal Marine commando accused of ploughing into football fans at Liverpool FC’s Premier League title parade was close to tears as he made his first appearance in court today.
Paul Doyle, 53, was arrested and subsequently charged after a Ford Galaxy tailgated an ambulance through a roadblock before ramming through the crowd in the city centre on May 26.
The ‘horrific’ carnage on Water Street, which was packed with jubilant fans as the people carrier sped through the crowd at around 6pm on Bank Holiday Monday, left 79 injured, including a nine-year-old who was among several children hurt.
Doyle, from West Derby on Merseyside, arrived at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court in a prison van today charged with seven offences relating to six people, including two children.
The father-of-three, who was dressed in a black suit, with a grey tie and white shirt, was visibly emotional when he was brought into the courtroom.
He sat in the dock with his head bowed and spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth.
The defendant faces one count of dangerous driving alongside two counts each of causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent, wounding with intent to cause GBH and attempting to cause GBH with intent.
Doyle was remanded in custody and will appear at Liverpool Crown Court, in the same building, later today as all of the offences apart from the dangerous driving charge were too serious to be dealt with by magistrates.

Paul Doyle (pictured), 53, was arrested and subsequently charged after a Ford Galaxy rammed through a crowd of fans in the city centre on May 26

Doyle was visibly emotional as he appeared in the dock charged with seven offences today

Doyle is pictured arriving at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on Friday morning for his first hearing

Distressing footage captured the moment that the people carrier struck fans gathering for the parade on May 26

The driver was swiftly detained by police after the car eventually came to a halt on Monday

Doyle (pictured), from West Derby on Merseyside, appeared at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court today charged with seven offences relating to six people, including two children.
Doyle, who is married with three teenage children, was initially held on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs.
But the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed he had not been charged with any drug-related offences after he was quizzed for almost 72 hours.
Philip Astbury, prosecuting, said Doyle had ‘deliberately’ used his vehicle as a ‘weapon’ to mow down supporters celebrating Liverpool FC’s title win on Monday evening.
The defendant shook his head as he listened to the barrister outline the allegations against him.
He said: ‘This defendant drove deliberately at people amongst that crowd as they tried to leave the area.
‘Six charges of assault reflect those most seriously injured. The first count of dangerous driving reflects the manner of driving before and up until he used his vehicle deliberately as a weapon to injure those individuals.’
Mr Astbury indicated the Crown would oppose any application for bail.
The prosecutor had earlier applied for reporting restrictions to ban the naming of the six people, including two children, in the charges.

Flanked by two security officers, Doyle was close to tears as he made his first court appearance

A prison van believed to be carrying Paul Doyle arrives at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court in Liverpool

Police officers stand near the rear entrance of the Liverpool Magistrates’ Court as Doyle arrives at court

Officers were deployed outside the court on Friday morning as Doyle arrived for his hearing

Paul Doyle (pictured), 53, has been charged over the ‘horrific’ carnage at Liverpool’s Premier League victory parade

Pictured: The moment the Ford Galaxy makes its way down Water Street and ploughs into the crowd

Police announced the charges against Doyle (pictured in front of Taj Mahal) after 5pm on Thursday

Doyle appears to have travelled extensively, pictured here in front of the Sydney Opera House in Australia
The hearing was adjourned after seven minutes for district judge Paul Healey to consider the application, with the defendant taken from the dock and back to the cells.
No pleas were submitted by Doyle, who was briefly brought back in before the judge retired again to consider the reporting restriction application.
The Press Association submitted an objection on behalf of the press on the grounds that information may lead to the identification of victims, arguing it was already in the public domain through footage of the incident.
District Judge Healey then agreed to impose reporting restrictions for all six alleged victims, including the two children aged 17 and 11.
He said: ‘I believe it is in the interests of justice and it is a necessary and proportionate step at this time having regard to the nature of the allegations and express wishes of the victims.’
The judge said the investigation was in the ‘very early stages,’ adding; ‘There is a real prospect of further charges and extensive inquiries need to be concluded. I am satisfied this is a truly exceptional case. It shocked and outraged the people of Liverpool and beyond.’
All seven charges were put to Doyle, who gave no reaction, before Judge Healey remanded him into custody to appear before the Recorder of Liverpool, Judge Andrew Menary, this afternoon.
Merseyside Police Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims told a news conference last night that seven people remain in hospital after the incident. A total of 50 were taken to hospital, the youngest aged nine and the eldest aged 78.
Detectives are reviewing a ‘huge volume’ of CCTV and mobile phone footage from the day which was meant to be a celebration of Liverpool’s 20th league title.
Sarah Hammond, Chief crown prosecutor for the CPS Mersey-Cheshire, added: ‘This includes multiple pieces of video footage and numerous witness statements. It is important to ensure that every victim gets the justice they deserve.
‘The charges will be kept under review as the investigation progresses.’
Ms Sims told last night’s press conference: ‘I fully understand how this incident has left us all shocked and saddened, and I know many will continue to have concerns and questions.
‘Our detectives are working tirelessly, with diligence and professionalism, to seek the answer to all of those questions. When we are able to, we will provide further information.’
Yesterday a close friend of Doyle’s told the Mail he was not a football fan and had simply been dropping off a friend in the city centre as a favour when the incident occurred.
‘I believe he was doing someone a favour and dropping his wife’s friend and her daughter off for an appointment,’ the friend said. ‘He is a nice lad. He has a heart of gold.’
It is understood Doyle, a former company director, passed out of the Royal Marine Commando Training Centre, also known as CTCRM, in 1991 and served with 43 Commando, the unit based in Arbroath, Scotland, that helps secure the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
After leaving the Forces, the keen runner went on to read psychology and maths at a Russell Group university.
He has since held various management positions as a network security consultant, including one for several years at an NHS Trust, while company records show that he previously ran a number of businesses. He now works in cyber security.
According to social media, the sports enthusiast attended a local university and his wife of 20 years has also regularly posted happy pictures of the family enjoying holidays abroad, including to Disneyland.
Another close friend of the middle-class Doyles said he and his wife, who have been married for 20 years, were churchgoers and involved with a local Scout group.
‘I just can’t believe it,’ she said. ‘They are like part of the family, we have known them for years, their boys grew up with our children, I’m stunned, I really am.
‘It’s so out of character. Paul doesn’t drink or smoke or anything like that. He is such a family man, really hard working. They are such a gorgeous family.’
Two police vans were parked outside the family home yesterday. There was no answer at the well-kept property in a quiet cul-de-sac in the suburb of West Derby, north-east of the city centre.

The horror incident unfolded after crowds had descended on the city centre for Liverpool FC’s title parade

Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS Mersey-Cheshire Sarah Hammond (left) and Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims during a press conference last night

Forensic officers at the scene of the incident in Liverpool city centre
Liverpool had paraded their Premier League trophy along the waterfront, in front of the city’s famous Royal Liver building, just moments before the incident and thousands of supporters were making their way home or to bars to continue the celebration.
A flat-bed truck, which was being used to cordon off the street, had been moved by private contractors to let the emergency services through as it raced to a heart attack victim, police revealed.
Distressing footage posted online shows supporters banging on the car’s windows before it accelerated and hit fans at speed, causing several to be catapulted off the bonnet and leaving four trapped under its wheels.
Officers were on the scene within seconds.
The incident is not being treated as terrorism, officers have confirmed.